Jay Stokes, an environmental educator at Haw River State Park, recently completed the NC Environmental Education Certification. Jay says the certification program helped them find a job. “In this position, I get to meet students all over the state and teach them about the incredible planet they live on. When I’m not teaching, I can be found snuggled up with my three cats and a crochet project in hand.”
When asked about their favorite part of the program, Jay
says it was the networking. “My favorite part was meeting all the other awesome
educators. The courses take you to parks, museums and libraries that I may have
never visited. The people working at those places, and attending those events,
really showed me what environmental education can be, and that the community is
larger than you think.”
Jay says the experience that really stood out was a road trip with several other educators working on their certification. “We went to Goose Creek State Park to camp and stopped at all sorts of places on our way back for the travel portion! The community that comes from working on this certification really is indescribable.”
For the community partnership project, Jay created and
hosted an environmental trivia night at a local business in downtown
Greensboro. “It was so much fun, and participants got to put their knowledge to
the test. I plan on continuing this project, “Stumped: Environmental Trivia,”
to keep reaching my community and spreading awareness about the environment.”
Jay also says it changed the way they think about
environmental issues. “It’s going to sound cheesy, but this program gives me
hope. It can be easy to get bogged down by all the bad in the world and just
ignore it. Seeing all the people that care, and that care enough to take the
time to learn how to get others to care, has changed my attitude quite a bit.
Pessimism won’t fix our issues. Empathy and care will help our environment, and
I saw that so many times.”



No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments to this site are subject to the N.C. Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties. Please identify yourself in posts. Off-topic posts, "spam" or posts with offensive or inappropriate language will be removed.