Kristin McMinds, a homeschooling mom, recently completed the NC Environmental Education Certification program. Kristin has a background in education and has worked in public and private schools and in nonformal education. “Currently, I'm a homeschooling mom and also caretaker to a disabled family member. Because I spend a lot of time caring for others, being outside in nature is one of the ways I recharge my batteries. As a family, we love traveling, camping, and we are big supporters and appreciators of all the arts.”
Kristin says her favorite part of earning her certification was the skill building and networking through workshops at the Kathleen Clay Library in Greensboro. “I have always been drawn to nature-based learning, but I lacked the direction, knowledge and tools to know how to turn that interest into something more meaningful. I am incredibly grateful for all of the environmental education programs offered through the library. What began simply as a way to spend time outdoors with my son ultimately opened up a new path for me. I really enjoyed connecting with other like-minded people who shared my curiosity and appreciation for nature. At many of the workshops, I found myself feeling like a little kid again excited to explore, ask questions, and discover something new.”
When asked what certification experience stands out to her,
it was finding a new family member at one of the workshops. “I was attending a
Project Learning Tree workshop in November of 2021. The class was held outside
at the Kathleen Clay Library due to Covid restrictions at that time. There was
little, stray kitten that attached itself to our group for the entirety of the
day. He followed us around mewing for hours but would not let anyone touch him
before scampering away. We recognized that he would not make it on his own and
needed to be rescued, which was no easy task considering his timid nature.
Melanie Buckingham and I finally succeeded in luring him inside and gently
capturing him. That cat is now part of my family! We had to give him a literary
name, so he is affectionately called Hemi for Ernest Hemingway.”
Kristin says the program changed her approach to teaching. “I
have learned to be more flexible in my approach to environmental education and
to follow children’s natural curiosity. Specifically, this has helped me in
teaching my son. Rather than focusing solely on delivering a planned lesson, I
now pay closer attention to the student's questions, observations and interests
and let these drive conversations and lessons. This has helped me create more
engaging, child-centered experiences that foster a deeper connection with
nature.”
She says it also changed the way she views environmental issues. “I approach environmental issues less from the perspective of advocating for specific policies and more from the goal of nurturing a child's curiosity, appreciation and connection to the natural world. When children develop a genuine appreciation for their environment, they are more likely to value it and naturally will want to care for and protect it.”



No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments to this site are subject to the N.C. Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties. Please identify yourself in posts. Off-topic posts, "spam" or posts with offensive or inappropriate language will be removed.